Supported with funds from UCE Birmingham Conservatoire and the Royal Northern College of Music, this enjoyable new SOMM release of arrangements of Beethoven’s music for Wind Ensemble researched and edited by Martin Harlow, highlights the role of the small wind band known as the Harmonie.
Music for the small wind ensemble became quite a phenomenon during the late 18th and early 19th century and the vast extant repertory for Harmonie from across Europe, original music and arrangements, testifies to the fascination for this medium.
The Albion Ensemble records frequently for BBC radio and has taken part in many music programmes for TVS, Yorkshire Television and the BBC as well as appearing in documentary films on Elizabeth Maconchy and Sir Robert Mayer. The Ensemble has also been featured in a series of five programmes on the wind quintet for the BBC Radio 3 Music Machine.
On This Recording
- Egmont: Egmont, Op. 84: Overture (arr. F. Starke for wind ensemble)
- Symphony No. 1: I. Adagio molto – Allegro con brio
- Symphony No. 1: II. Andante cantabile con moto
- Symphony No. 1: III. Menuetto – Allegro molto e vivace
- Symphony No. 1: IV. Finale: Allegro molto vivave
- Fidelio, Op. 72: Overture (arr. for wind ensemble): Overture
- Fidelio, Op. 72: Overture (arr. for wind ensemble): Act II: March
- Piano Quintet: Piano Quintet in E-Flat Major, Op. 16: II. Andante cantabile (arr. J. Triebensee for wind ensemble)
- Piano Sonata No. 8: I. Grave – Allegro di molto e con brio
- Piano Sonata No. 8: II. Adagio cantabile
- Piano Sonata No. 8: III. Rondo: Allegro