In addition to Mompou and Estevez who come from an earlier era, the composers represented here originate in Venezuela, Britain, Cuba, Mexico, Canada, and Belize and were commissioned by Riu during 2003/04 to write a piece inspired by Salsa. The overall result is an intriguing and exciting fusion of styles and genres.
Elena Riu – Piano
Wilmer Sifontes – Latin Percussion
The CD recorded late in the summer of 2004 contains 22 pieces and includes London Premieres by Javier Alvarez, Douglas Finch, Deirdre Gribbin, Elena Riu and several others.
The scores of the sixteen commissions on the CD are available in a book entitled Salsa nueva and published by Boosey & Hawkes in collaboration with SOMM.
On This Recording
- Coleccion de salsas: Coleccion de salsas: Worcestershire
- 17 piezas infantiles: 17 piezas infantiles: No. 2. Ancestro 1
- Fur Elena
- One Hand in my Pocket
- Toccata montuna
- Canto de Bemba
- Celtic o salsa
- The Barnyard Song
- 17 piezas infantiles: 17 piezas infantiles: No. 2. Ancestro 2
- La salsa del Sr. Ligeti
- Canco i dansa No. 6: Canco i dansa No. 6 (version for piano)
- La Fiesta: La Fiesta (arr. E. Riu and W. Sifontes for piano and percussion)
- Recordando a Celia
- I wouldn't normally say
- Triple enclave
- Pan con Timba