Mozart held a very special place in Beecham’s heart. Grieg is not a composer who immediately springs to mind when we think of Beecham, yet he often explored much of that coposer’s limited orchestral output. Alwyn’s 3rd Symphony was commissioned by the BBC and dedicated to Richard Howgill, then BBC Controller of Music – John Ireland considered this work to be the finest British symphony since Elgar’s symphony No.2.
SIR THOMAS BEECHAM, Bart., C.H.
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Released in collaboration with the Sir Thomas Beecham Trust in support of the Scholarship Fund.
On This Recording
- Symphony No. 29: I. Allegro moderato
- Symphony No. 29: II. Andante
- Symphony No. 29: III. Menuetto
- Symphony No. 29: IV. Allegro con spirito
- Symphony No. 3: I. Allegro molto
- Symphony No. 3: II. Poco adagio
- Symphony No. 3: III. Allegro con fuoco
- Symphonic Dances: I. Allegro moderato e marcato
- Symphonic Dances: II. Allegretto grazioso
- Symphonic Dances: III. Allegro giocoso
- Symphonic Dances: IV. Allegro molto e risoluto